Featured Post

 Henry  5" x 5" x 1.5" Oils on canvas March, 2023

Thursday, May 28, 2020



        Graphing for Tonal Painting



This is a photo that I found online for my student to paint.  I can't give the proper credit because I didn't record the name of the photographer.
Because it's such a complex scene with so many details I decided to use graphing to start the painting as a tonal painting.  Here are the steps I used beginning with a black and white photo of the scene.


I put a wash of raw sienna on the canvas.



I put masking tape around the edges to remind me not to paint all the way to the edge.



 I measured and painted a graph the size of the painting that was roughly in thirds.


Next, I placed a piece of transparent plastic (old sheets for use with an overhead projector) on top of the black and white copy of the photograph.  I measured and drew a graph roughly in thirds onto the transparent plastic with a Magic Marker.


Then, with the transparent plastic graph on top of the B & W copy, I selected a segment with which to begin. I chose the uppermost left-hand segment.


Upper left-hand segment on B & W copy.


Upper left-hand segment on canvas.




Using black, white, and greys, I painted the tones of the upper left-hand segment that I wanted to include in my painting. 







Nearly completed tonal painting.




Tonal Painting


No comments:

Post a Comment